Monday, December 26, 2011

A Christmas Teddy Bear....

for my DGS....

Kyler Sews Age 5

...let's go back to August 2010.  My DGS spent a week with us that summer....and one of the things he did was quilt some fabric.  It was straight line quilting and I told him I would make a quilted teddy bear for him after all the lines were stitched.  He had turned 5 on May 13 that year.  It was a big job for a new sewer who was only 5 years old.  I was so proud of him....and today I surprised him with his teddy bear. 


Kyler's Teddy Bear

I found this little sweater and it fit just perfect.


Kyler's quilted teddy bear with his sweater

It has been a long time since I made a bear....maybe 8 years or so.  I used to make mohair bears....and this week I realized just how much fun they are to make.   Mohair has a bit of stretch and it is a lot easier to make a mohair bear than a quilted bear using homespun cottons.  I made the paw pads out of 100% wool.  Kyler is happy with his new teddy bear and I'm tickled pink at how it turned out.

If anyone can give me the formula for 36 hour days I would really appreciated it.  I have so many things I would like to make but just seem to run out of time. 

I have a house full of family for a few days.  My 2 DS's, DDIL and 3 darling Grandones...
Noreen, we miss you.....she had to stay back in Canada to work.....and look after Miles, their dog that doesn't like the car......

.....I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas with lots of hugs and laughter with family and friends.....

.....this is my 100th posting and I've over 500 followers.....
I think I have to celebrate. 
To let you know how much I appreciate you visiting my blog and leaving me comments....
I'm going to have a big giveaway next week. 
See you next week!!!

hugs


17 comments:

  1. The bear is sooo cute. But...I actually think the boy on the sewing machine is MUCH cuter! See ya next week =)

    hugZ,
    annie
    anniesrubyslipperz.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your teddy bear is gorgeous. I love his colours. Your DGS did a great job with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special bear. This is the sort of gift he will treasure for a long time. He looks great.
    Congrats on the 100th post! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are passing your skills along! That bear is a true treasure!! Thank you for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely bear! Also loving that you taught your son to sew! (I always work with male students who want to learn crafts...I've got some fierce boy knitters.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for your Grandson sewing! Cute teddy too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bear is really cute. Your grandson is probably very proud of his work. I enjoy reading your blog and I am glad you have so many followers. That is a milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a special bear, was fun seeing your grandson at the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute bear, I'm sure any kid would love to receive a cute bear like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pauline that bear is darling! I've never made one - or a doll either. :( I think I may need to try this because I have grandchildren who, like yours, would love it. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG he looks so grown up. You haven't lost your touch for making bears even though it has been a long time.
    BonnieGay

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now just how fun is that. What a great way to bond and teach all at the same time. It will surely be a treasured bear for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great to let the kids at the sewing machine with little tasks that make them successful. Love the finished bear - too cute - just like your DGS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bear is so sweet! What a great idea to get children interested.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the bear. I have always wanted to make one from a mans sports jacket. Such great plaids and such. Is it hard to do? Guess I just have to try it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the bear and so great to see the young ones sewing toox

    ReplyDelete